Monday, August 15, 2011

Gatherings 101: Summertime Barbecue





I think that most people can agree that the downfall of any party is not being able to spend time with your guests. As insurmountable as it seems, it is possible to create a menu that will ensure that you spend as much time with your guests as possible. Grilling makes it that much easier, because often time the grill is right where the guests are: outside. This menu that I've come up with for a summertime barbecue is almost foolproof and has been tested for sociability. I pulled this menu together for my roommate Karen's birthday (she's pictured above). Replace the watermelon with Carvel ice cream cake, and that's exactly what we ate.


Do in Advance
Make french onion dip
Marinade chicken
Make coleslaw
Buy Skinnygirl Margaritas
Slice watermelon

The recipe for the corn salsa can be found below, (and here), and I served it with the Tostitos Whole Wheat scoops. That's Jackie's dainty hand eating some above. My rule is, as long as you mix the homemade with the store-bought, you'll always be safe. That's why I had no qualms about serving french onion dip (just the dried soup packet and sour cream version) along side the corn salad. Both the salad and the dip can be made hours ahead of time and sit in the fridge to let the flavors combine. Another item that can be made well in advance is the cole slaw. I use the store-bought cabbage/carrot mix and add mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar (about a T for each package of cole slaw mix), salt and pepper to taste. Different people like a different ratio of acid to mayonnaise, so best to follow your tongue in this case.

I also prepped my chicken well in advance. I purchased a jumbo sized package of chicken drumsticks, rinsed and dried them when I got them home, and then placed them in a large metal bowl with italian dressing. I then let them marinade for a few hours in the refrigerator, covered tightly in plastic wrap. When it came time to grill them, I placed them directly on the grill and then applied my favorite packaged barbecue cause on them as the cooking process went on. It's best not to put the barbecue sauce on cold chicken. It will caramelize better later in the process. To round out the entrees I served beef franks, this gives everyone the option of having barbecue chicken, a hot dog, or both.

My favorite beverage to serve alongside this meal is Skinnygirl Margaritas. Placed in a big pitcher with ice, it makes for a festive summer drink without very much effort. Following these rules for mixing the store-bought with the homemade, and prepping in advance surely make for a successful barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment